Tuesday, August 2

monopoly fun in london



I have two blisters on the soles of my feets, I'm sunburnt and exhausted. But it was worth it. If you think playing Monopoly takes a long time, I will tell you this my friend. I has got nothing on walking it! It took all day and I covered 30km. I'm not exaggerating, i just put the route into Map My Run and it's just over 30km. No wonder my feet are killing me.

A lot of people have asked me why I wanted to visit all the places on the Monopoly Board. I don't really have an answer, but why does anyone want to go anywhere when they travel? Usually they know of a place and figure they may as well go see it. I guess that's what it was in this case.

If I could have dinner with anyone it would be Victor Watson and Marjory Phillips. They are the people who scouted locations in London for the UK version. I would like to know why on earth they picked places so far apart.

I started at Marylebone Station, which wasn't too far from the hostel. Then it was a bit of a walk to Oxford St but there are quite a few near there. I spent a while weaving around the streets getting to each stop. There was a fountain at Trafalgar Square so I rested my weary feet in that for a while. I'd only visited five spots by then and I was already exhausted. Also my thongs on my feet have NEVER hurt me before so it was annoying that they chose today to start. My route involved a little backtracking: Park Lane was a little on it's own and it took a while to find a sign to photograph even though I was on the street. Mayfair is also now more of an area than a street but I found a Mayfair Place so that will do. Back along Piccadilly I found a lot in one hit: Pall Mall, Whitehall, Northumberland Ave, The Strand, Trafalger Square were all really close. As were Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Coventry St and Regent St. Then it was a bit of doubling back (after some lunch) to Fleet St. The walk to Bow St was fun though. It took me past the theatre for the Lion King. The booking office was open so I thought I'd try my luck. The website I'd looked at for cheap tickets showed no performances while I was in London but the poster out the front said there should be one on Tuesday night. There is no performance on a Monday and I wouldn't make the Wednesday matinee before my bus so it was Tuesday or nothing. Turns out Tuesday night is sold out...well now it is. I got the last ticket. I could have hugged the ticket lady. Feeling a bit perked up I continued on...to Drury Lane. Now I know it's not on the board, and I found it by accident. I didn't even know it was a real place. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, you need to see Shrek and listen out for the muffin man.




And it was back onto Fleet St and then a BIG hike up to Kings Cross Station (Euston Rd and Pentonville Rd are on either side of the station so it was a worthwhile walk). Near the station there were a few people gathered around a brick thing taking photos. What's that I thought? Turns out they've set up a little mini platform...platorm 9 3/4. If you don't get it...watch Harry Potter. I couldn't resist so I asked a girl to take my photo while I pushed the trolley through the brick wall.

Next stop, the Angel Islington. This isn't a place but a pub, where apparently the people met to discuss what places should go on the board. To mark the occasion, they put down the Angel. I was in need of a drink so I stopped there for a bit before the next big walk to Liverpool St Station, where I had great difficultly finding a decent sign to photograph. I had a similar problem at Kings Cross. I thought all the stations would have nice big signs like Marylebone did, but nope. That would be too easy.

I have to wonder why some places where chosen. As I walked along Whitechapel Rd looking for a street sign to snap, I ended up in a not so nice area. It seemed to have a large Muslim population but was very run down and there were groups of guys just standing about. I just walked fast, found my sign and walked back. Then to Fenchurch Station for the last stop on this side of the river.

Now Victor and Marjory...all the places are on the same side of the River Thames. Except Old Kent Rd. What is the appeal, I wondered? Was it that it was a good 5km out of my way? Probably. With my feet now ready to either drop off or I would have chopped them off, I walked over the Tower Bridge in search of my last stop. I stopped to by bandaids (my feet were seriously burning by this stage. Every step was agony) and eventually found it. But, again, no sign. I walked for about a kilometre, found a sign, and then had to work out how to get back. I ended up on a bus.



But the day wasn't over yet. On the London forum on Couchsurfing, a girl, Jana, had put a post about celebrating her birthday at a local pub. Why not? Jana is from Germany and in London for an internship and since she couldn't be with her family, decided to open her up her birthday celebration to the CS community. I hopped off the bus and caught a black cab to the pub. I had to chuckle when I was greeted with 'Evenin' Miss, where are you off to?' by the cab driver. It was all so typically english.

We found the pub and I found the CS party with no problem. There ended up being about 20 people from 16 different countries. No one really knew each other, just there for the same reason I was. An excuse to meet some people in a strange city. It turned out to be a really nice night. Jana had a great time and it again made my appreciate how great CS is.

I left about 11.30pm so I could catch the tube home. It stops just after midnight and while the others were saying I would be able to catch a bus, it just might take a few hours, I didn't think it was a wise idea to be roaming the streets in the early morning trying to get home.



No comments:

Post a Comment