Thursday, August 4

feeling the love at the lion king



Even as a writer, there are some things I struggle to put into words. The Lion King musical is one of those things. Just minutes into the show I can goosebumps, was sitting on the edge of my seat and had my mouth open in awe. Those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. Those who haven't, if you ever get the chance: do it!

After a very tiring day yesterday, I gave my feet a much-deserved rest. I only made them walk about 4km to a cinema so I could see the new Harry Potter film. I walked through Hyde Park and discovered what Liva meant when she said it was just a big field that people walked through. I came out of the park near Notting Hill. I did keep my eyes open for the house with the blue door, but didn't see it. I wasn't really up for having a big walk around to find it so I stuck to the main street. One of the benefits of not doing the 'touristy' things is it gets me out of the way a bit. The walk through Notting Hill to Shephard Bush, where the cinema was, was really lovely. The walk yesterday was just as interesting: from the shopping streets of Oxford and Regent, the high-end shops on Bond St, the theatres near The Strand and Leicester Square, the dodgy areas near Whitechapel and Old Kent Rd. It gave me a good look at the city and not just the usual areas.

I made it to the complex with plenty of time to spare so I went off in search of lunch. I decided I should try an English favourite: fish and chips. There is a New Zealand girl in my room and I resisted temptation to make her say it. Although I laughed when she said her mum was wearing 'sucks' with her sandles.
I found a little pub and enjoy the fish and chips (and mushy green peas...odd invention there). Then it was off to Harry Potter. I've been in France and Spain since it came out and didn't want to see it with subtitles so have waited until now. It was rather fun to see it in London, especially after visiting platform 9 3/4.

I caught the tube back to the hostel, had dinner, changed and set out for the theatre. I won't give too much away for those who haven't seen it and might, but the show was incredible. There's a reason you hear so many good things about it. Although I was high up in the Grand Circle, I still had a good view. It was a little hard not to sing along actually, but I refrained.

The show finished at 10pm, so I walked back to the tube and headed home. The area near the theatre was very much alive though. The blocks around the Strand and Leicester Square have theatres everywhere, and there are some really random ones. Legally Blonde the musical? Apparently it's quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment