Thursday, August 18

irish weather prevails

Another late night meant another late morning. I haven’t slept this late so often for a long time! Unfortunately the nice weather of the weekend was short lived. Today the view out the flat window didn’t look very inviting at all. But we had to brave it because I was hungry and needed things in town. At least it wasn’t cold. We had breakfast at the English Market before heading to some shops and then the post office…yes someone has a present on the way J

Donagh’s friend Brendan had a few new episodes of Entourage so we walked to Donagh’s college to get them. The college (what Australia’s would call university) was quite a beautiful place. Much nicer than the one I went to. Exams are on at the moment so there were a few students camped in the hallways pouring over their notes in a last-minute attempt to learn something. I resisted the temptation to whisper to them “if you don’t know it now, it’s too late”. A lot of the buildings are quite old, with plants climbing up the walls. Some of the newer ones aren’t quite as impressive. Donagh said one of them was designed and built by a civil engineer who forgot to put toilets in. The oversight wasn’t realised until the building opened.

There’s a lough (Irish spelling of loch) not far from the college so we bought some bread and headed up to feed the ducks. The birds were quite friendly little fellas. I’m assuming they are quite used to being fed treats by humans. Some of the geese were quite snappy, so I gave them less and favoured the birds they picked on. It wasn’t long before the short break in the rain was over so we headed to a popular fish and chips sho to get some dinner. Apparently it was once rated the best fish and chip shop and a very young Bono went there to present the award.



Once again at dinner I managed to eat far too much so lying down to watch a movie was called for. I was meant to be staying at a hostel tonight as I have an early flight in the morning, but the boys weren’t too concerned about me being up early so I stayed another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment