Saturday, February 9

Day 3 in Brugge

The best thing about Bruges being such a small city is that it doesn't take long to explore. Even after just a day and a half here I felt I'd seen most things I wanted to. Today just left a couple to tick off the list. Being a Saturday, it was market day in one of the main squares. I first visited the Fish Market, which back in the day was extremely popular. It's right on the canal and the boat pulled up and the fish went straight from boat to the market stall. These days, with the canals only used for tourist boats, it's a lot quieter. It still opens most mornings but there is less and less fresh fish and more and more tacky souviners and trinkets.

I barely stopped for a photo before heading to the larger market at 't Zand. At first it seemed to be a weird mix of clothes, linen and people selling items that belong on late-night TV advertisements such as non-stick frypans and magic glass cleaner. I eventually found the fruit, vegetables and flowers tucked down another street. Alon with chickens and rabbits. I love markets but it's such a shame when I'm not in a position to buy anything. I already had my lunch and dinner organised.

Back in 't Zand I found the cheese, deli and bread stalls I'd expected. One bread stall had a huge line of customers. And a tea van was packed with people standing around some tables drinking tea and coffee from tiny cups. I've overheard a lot of locals complain about the number of tourists, so it was nice to see them here, in what must be a big tourist attraction on the weekend.

Speaking of tourists, they were out in force today. The weather wasn't as good as yesterday. The canals were icy. But being a weekend, the visitors appeared. I visited the chocolate museum (not really worth a visit I'd say) and found myself shuffling along the exhibits in a little tourist conga line. I'm so very glad I'm not here in summer. The chocolate museum was interesting, but if I'd had any less time I would have happily skipped it. I bought a combined ticket when I went to the Fries Museum, so figured I may as well go. I did get some free samples. A woman gave a demonstration and just before she handed out the sample she asked if anyone had any questions. I did, and it held up the giving of the samples. I got a dirty look from one lady. Sheesh!

I visited a tea shop a friend had recommended. Good tea and good apple cake. Plus I got a table right near the fire. It was nice to be warm for a bit.

I spent the rest of the afternoon walking along the outskirts of the city, passed a few windmills that line the edge of the old town. I came back to Marcel's by 3pm. He was leaving for work at 4pm so I wanted to make it back before he left.

When it was dark I went for a walk and unsuccessfully searched for a waffle. These things are everywhere during the day but all the little places that serve them close and the bigger places don't want you taking up a table just for a waffle. I'll get one in Ghent tomorrow.

I really like the city at night. Although it was busier tonight (being a Saturday) then it was on Thursday, it's still so much quieter than during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment