Wednesday, May 25

These are a few of my favourite things . . .

It's now exactly one month until I leave the North-West. I thought I would mark the occasion by reflecting on my top ten favourite things about living on the Coast.

10. That I can give and receive directions using landmarks that no longer exist and everyone still gets where they need to go.
9. Three-degrees of separation. The standard six degrees of separation applies to relatives.
8. Walking Cassie (the dog) on the beach in the afternoon and having the whole place to myself.
7. That a story about misplaced gates (Hilder-gate) can be top news for three days. I'm am not being facetious, it's a cool story and it's great that it matters.
6. Bruce's cafe. This is a bit of a plug for Corey and Lix, but I love that place that much.
5. The woodchip piles. This is a controversial statement, reminds me of the time I dared to say that Dr Chris from Bondi Vet is not that hot, but there it is. Seeing them as I drive round Round Hill means I'm home. 
4. Similarly, coming over the hill past Flowerdale on the Bass Hwy where you can see the sleeping camel of Rocky Cape. It's an absolutely gorgeous view and makes me warm and fuzzy on the insides.
3. VJ's fruit buns. They are the best. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to VJ's Bakery at Somerset. Now.
2. The Burnie Farmers' Market. After months, if not years, of 'I really must go there', I finally made it last year and now try to go every fortnight. It's worth getting up early on a Saturday for. A special shout out to the pumpkin man. I highly doubt he would be following by blog, or using the Internet at all - he's probably too busy skinning and cutting up pumpkin to sell to lazy little brats like me.
1. That there are so many things to do. This isn't usually said about small towns but really, the array of things to do here is pretty broad. I love that my weekend may involve an art exhibition opening, trip to the beach, exploring at a market or dinner with friends. It's so easy to fall into the trap of shopping and clubs in bigger cities as I found in Hobart. I never really went to anything out of the ordinary. The North-West has made me look beyond that.

No comments:

Post a Comment