Wednesday, September 7

sinking or swimming in a pot of tea

My feet are throbbing, my head is spinning and I'm sitting at the table pouring over a menu. Not to choose what I'd like to order, but to learn it. I've even been writing out the high tea menu just to get my head around it. No longer shall I look at serving (waitressing) as something I did for some pocket money through uni.

I've just got home after my first shift at the Secret Garden Tea Company - my new job in Vancouver. I wanted a change from offices, computers, writing and the intensity that comes with the media industry. That's not to say I was looking for a break, because I have by no means got that. In fact, learning the ropes at SGTC is more demanding than my foray into journalism when I started at The Advocate. I certainly wasn't sitting at home studying a style guide after my first shift at the paper.

After day two, my head has slowed down a bit. I feel like I know which way is up - even if left and right is still proving a challenge. I've also had the chance to sample more of the menu. One word: amazing. It's in my top three now along with Bruces and Hot Mother. I can't pick a favourite. The staff at SGTC are lovely: there are three Aussies (just can't escape 'em), an Irish girl and a handful of locals. I feel for the older staff at the moment because they are surrounded by newbies. Having lived through the cycle at the paper several times, I know what they're going through. But hopefully by the time the busy period comes (when the weather cools off a bit), we'll be right to go and they won't be muttering nasty names under their breath. I haven't heard any of them do that, and they all seem to nice to, but lets face it, training newbies isn't the world's easiest job.

After two months off, it's great to have somewhere to go and something to do. I now have three days off and I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. I best make the most of it though because I've got five days straight next week. Ahhh the joys of making a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment