Saturday, September 3

the end of temporary unemployment

It's been a long time since I had a job interview. Actually, it's been a long time since I had to think about finding work. Being in Vancouver is more about life experience than work experience, so I'm taking the opportunity to have a break from computers (which I feel like I've been staring at since I started uni eight years ago) and offices. I hadn't planned to look for work until I arrived in Canada, but out of curiousity I had a scroll through jobs on Craigslist while I was in Scotland. One job stood out: a server at the Secret Garden Tea Company. It was the business name that drew me in. Then it was the story of how the two women started the company. Then I saw the menu and the tea list. I thought about it for a week or so, aware that I wouldn't be in Vancouver until the end of the month, which is a long time when a business needs staff right away. After a week or so of still thinking what a great place the cafe looked like, I decided I might as well apply.

One of the owners wrote back and said they'd be happy to meet me when I arrived, so I put it out of my mind for a couple of weeks. Not being in Canada yet, I wanted to know more about the business so I read all the reviews online, looked at the menu more and checked out the Facebook page. It may have seemed like a lot to go through for a serving job, but I've never not known anything about the places I've wanted to work when I've applied and I was at a disadvantage in that sense.

Anyway, those who have seen my Facebook status will know the outcome, but I got the job. And I don't think I've been as excited aout a job before. Of course I was excited about The Advocate, but also terrified that perhaps after a decade of wanting to be a journalist that I might give it a go and hate it and then what would I do?

The owners seem lovely, the place is wonderful and I start training next week! It is a huge relief to have the work situation sorted so soon after arriving. My next mission is to find somewhere to live. It's been great having Joe's place to crash at, but I'd like to find something a little closer to work and also, Joe doesn't need me cramping his style for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment