Saturday, September 10

getting back on the bike

Yesterday I joined Vancouver's cycling culture. Cycling is big here. Not as big as say China, where no one can own a car so everybody's transport of choice has two wheels. But it's still big. It fits in very well with the 'Green' thing Vancouver has going on. Everyone - young, old, hippy, yuppy - is very environmentally-minded. Composting is popular, recycling even more so. I wouldn't dare throw so much as a used bus ticket in the wrong waste bin. Whereas this type of thinking is still considered an effort by most in Australia, and it's a movement still requiring a lot of promotion, here, it's just the way things are done.

I felt guilty about riding the bus when small armies of cyclists were whizzing past. So after a bit of searching on Craigslist without much luck, I went searching for a bike shop. Given that cycling is so big, bike shops are rather common. I had heard that decent used bikes could be picked up pretty cheaply, but I wasn't having much luck. I was nearly contemplating buying a new one (which would be about $300 on the low-end) when I found Ride Again Bikes. The sales guy was lovely and hooked me up with a used red bike...that's about all I know about it. I also had to get kitted out with helmet, tray for the back, bags to hang off the tray, front and rear lights and a bike lock. It wasn't the cheapest shopping trip I've done, but safety first right?

I rode from the store down to work. Work to home took me about 30 minutes. I only have six gears, and sixth is very noisy. So I am already finding myself contemplating trading it in for a new one if I end up using it a lot. I'm very lucky in that 45th Ave is a bike street. Some of the streets in Vancouver are designated bike streets; cars are still allowed on them but the speed limit is 30kmh and it's closed to local traffic only. There are also less stop signs so you don't get interrupted as much. I have a few hills, but nothing too challenging. Although as I found out today when I rode to work in wide-leg pants, I can sometimes get caught on the peddles. Will have to think up something around that.

2 comments:

  1. Now Vancouver is one place I'd like to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thought of you whizzing around on your red bike!

    ReplyDelete