Tuesday, August 23

i was like, soooo american

I'm sitting in Starbucks, sipping my drink, laptop open, searching Yelp for places to eat in the West Village. I could easily be mistaken for a real New Yorker. The only thing that would give me away is that my drink is the smallest size possible. To really look the part I should have got the biggest. I was shocked when I came across a Starbucks in the Forbidden City in Beijing. Perhaps I should have been shocked there was only one. Starbucks is very much the chain of choice in America. There is one at every turn. Sometimes across the street from each other. It's quite incredible really. Although sometimes I wonder at the signs in the toilets reminding employees to wash their hands. I've seen this in about four or five different places (not just Starbucks). Is it that hard to remember?

Looking towards Manhattan
Today I was up and out in the city early. New York in the early morning (by early I mean 7am) is fun. The tourists are still sleeping so you see it more from a local's perspective. Today was garbage day (thankfully as the bags were lining the streets last night. And they wonder why there are rats). The construction crews were already at work, the morning paper sellers were calling out to commuters and the street vendors were setting up. I walked to a Starbucks and used the wifi to update my blog from yesterday. Then it was off to Brooklyn Bridge. It was a little cooler outside but 27 degrees was predicted so I decided to get all my outdoor visiting out of the way before it became to hot for this little Taswegian.

I'd read that the best view across the bridge was coming from Brooklyn, but since I was on the Manhattan side I started there. It's only 1.8km so I figured I'd just walk back. I didn't want to spoil the view so I was determined not to turn around while I walked. At one point I accidently saw a bit of the skyline out the corner of my eye when taking a photo...I couldn't help but smile a little. But I made it to the end without looking back. Manhattan really is a sight. It was a beautiful day: Manhattan Bridge in the foreground and the city behind it. The pedestrian and bike path runs above the traffic - cyclists on one side and pedestrians on the other. Some people were doing the tourist thing, some seemed to be just using it to cross, others were out for a run, including a boot camp group that stopped at the side to do more exercises.

Looking towards Brooklyn
Next it was off to the Staten Island Ferry. I had no desire to go to Staten Island, it's just that the ferry goes passed the Statue of Liberty. And it's free. The ferry doesn't get really close but it's as good a view as I'm willing to pay for. The view of Manhattan was also worth the 1-hour return trip. It looks so small from a distance.




Back on the right side of the water I jumped on the subway bound for the West Village. This is where I came with Vanessa and Kathryn last Thursday night and it seemed to be a good place for lunch. Yelp, a website that's really popular in the States and reviews nearly every business you can think of, led me to The Little Owl, just around the corner. It was a great little place, full of character and they had great service. I did have to wait for a table, but it was worth it. I didn't rush through lunch and afterwards decided to wander around, with the vague intention of heading to either the Museum of Modern Art or the Natural History Museum. In the end I didn't make it to either. The afternoon just flew by as I walked around the city. First around West Village and then back to the Theatre District and Times Square. I like how the atmosphere can change dramatically with just the turn of a corner. From the insanity of Times Square to the sophistication of Fifth Avenue and then the empty construction areas along 37th street. I'd just found somewhere to print my Yankees tickets for tomorrow night when Jeremy messaged and said he was heading home from work.

Jeremy had messaged during the day and said there had been an earthquake. That was news to me. Reports later said people spilled onto the street as they implemented evacuation procedures. I didn't notice that. This must be the only city in the world in which something like that can happen and it's easy not to notice. For dinner we head to the East Village, a place I haven't ventured to yet. I found myself on one of the east streets today, but that was only by accident and I turned around when I realised. First we walked through Chelsea (the gay district) to the Meatpacking District (the nightclubs) just so I could see more of the city. An old railway track has been revamped into a walkway that weaves between the buildings, so we walked along that. Then we hopped on the bus crosstown. The East Village is a more artistic and alternative area, and as such as a bit of a different vibe than the other parts I'd been in. We went to a Moroccan place for dinner, which was amazing. It's one of Jeremy's favourite places and I'm really glad we went there. I would have ended up at some chain no doubt if I'd been on my own. Full on cous cous and Moroccon tea, I hailed my first cab and we taxied back to Jeremy's.

No comments:

Post a Comment