Friday, August 5

a cosy salon in gretna

As I've written here before, it is doing the most normal things in another country that I really enjoy. Today was another example of that. I went to get my hair done. Amy booked the appointment a while ago as I'd always planned today to be a lazy day while Amy and David were at work...a day to sleep in, laze about, and get my hair done. Now, as I'm writing this it has come to my attention that I don't think I've explained who Amy and David are. So...Amy is an old friend (in years, not age) who lived next door to our family at Montumana. She was Kim's best friend while we were growing up. About six years ago she moved to Scotland and now lives in Gretna with her husband David. Amy lived not far from Gretna when she was a kid, before her family moved to Tasmania and next to us. Amy and David came to Fontenay-le-comte to visit us when we went to the second stage of le Tour de France.

Anywho, so I toddled off to my hair appointment, which turned out to be a bit of an experience. Not because of my hair, that looks just a little bit better than it did this morning, but because of the salon. It really is the female equivalent of the pub. Everybody in there, customers and staff, knew each other and the topic of the day was exam results. All the students got their results in the post yesterday. I was there over lunch time so some of the staff disappeared until there was only the one washing my hair when the phone rang. One of the other customers got up out of her chair, her hair in foils, and answered the phone and took the appointment details. When the phone rang again, another customer, this time one waiting on the couch, said "Do you want me to get it?" and walked over and picked it up. I couldn't pick who worked there and who didn't. One woman came in and started tidying up then sat down to get her hair done. It was extremely confusing. Amy told me later that sometimes customers will wash the hair of other customers. That might seem weird but I found it all rather charming. I was there for three hours, a lot longer than I would have been in Tassie. If I wasn't on holiday, it might have been a little annoying, but today it was fun.

I had a couple of hours back home before Amy came home from work. We ran a couple of errands before a rather relaxing night in, when I actually had time to write up a blog on the day it happened...don't get used it it folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment