Thursday, August 4

bye bye bobbies


My last day in London. Considering I hadn't been all that fussed whether I came here or not, I'm surprised to find myself sad to be leaving so soon. There is so much I didn't see, but ah well, I'll tick those boxes next year. I'm still find the double-decker buses and red telephone boxes amusing, I resisted the urge to photograph a bobby (they look too cute to be authority figures) and I love the traditional English pubs.

I had to check out today so most of the morning went in getting ready and packing. I left my luggage at the hotel and set off for Hyde Park, which is just down the road. My destination was the Bank of England, which is in the centre, but I figured a bit more walking wouldn't kill me. I managed to get lost in Hyde Park, ending up where I started, but the second try got me where I wanted. It's not really a pretty park, just a big open space. Kensington Gardens, at one end, are lovely, but mostly people were just using the park to walk through. There were some horse riders too, and deck chairs, which I assume will be filled up later in the day. I crossed into Green Park and came out near Buckingham Palace. Unfortunately I managed to arrive there for the changing of the guards, which would have been interesting to see had it not been so damn hot and so crowded. I had a chuckle at the cops on horses though, telling the crowds to 'shooo' out of the way. And onto Downing Street. I was surprised, although I shouldn't have been, to find that there were large security gates at either end of the street. Apparently ít's been that way since 1991. The bobby at the gate pointed out Number 10 so I could get a photo. All the buildings on that side of the street are linked. On the residential floor, the main amenities (bathrooms, kitchen etc) are on either end and the middle is filled up with living and bedrooms. The rooms are then divided up between the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister, depending on how many kids they have.



After deciding not to stay for the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, I came across a much more fun event. I walked past the British Household Cavalry building. There are two horse guards on duty there and they change every hour. The new horse walks behind each of the ones standing guard, the old ones come out and walk through the building entrance and the new ones step in. Then there's some saluting and commands before they dismount.



I kept walking to the Strand when time got the better of me and I caught the bus to the Bank of England. My mission here was to change some bank notes from Northern Ireland, which I'd been told the Bank of England could do. Turns out it can't (won't) so I'm still carrying them around since Mum gave them to me.

There is nothing like seeing a familiar face in a strange city so I must thank Sally Murphy for a good catch up today. Sal arrived in London last week and is going through the same 'finding her feet/job hunting' experience I will be next year. We met in Oxford Circus and headed to a nearby pub. Sal's found bar work but is looking for something in her line of work, HR.

Before long I'm carting my luggage through the tube again and onto the bus. I take the front seat, next to Michael from Manchester. Small world...he's also off to Vancouver to work in a few months. He's been in London for an interview with a resort in Canada. Apparently 70% of the applicants for the resort are Australian. It doesn't surprise me...I will probably see more Australians in Canada then I would in Melbourne. Michael's a Manchester United supporter (I've always wanted to meet one and see if they are as crazy as I've heard). This one seemed fairly sane, but did warn that if he had a son who chose to go for Manchester City, they would be disowned. Football alligience is inherited. ''It's in your blood," Michael tells me.

My bus pulls into Carlisle about 12.30am and I've very glad to see Amy and David waiting to take me home...a bed is very much in order!



No comments:

Post a Comment