Saturday, July 23

paella in peniscola

A photo from Toby of Peniscola
After learning my lesson with buffet breakfasts in Andorra (eating so much I had to put my pj bottoms back on), I'm secretly thrilled to learn there isn't much on offer at our hotel in Peniscola. I have very little will power. We eat, dress and then chill out for a bit. I do some trip planning for my solo adventure (no luck finding a couchsurfing host in Barcelona, so I'm staying in hostels for a few nights that I needed to book). Mum's feeling a bit off so the rest of us decided to explore the old town. Again, there is some bit building on the top of a hill with a windy little village nestled under it. And again, we want to explore it.



We walk along the wharf and then up into the village. Most of it is lined with shops but they have some great stuff. All of us (except Dad who waits patiently outside) pick up some things. We find a great ceramics store that we take Mum back to later. Dad and I lose Kim and Toby but find them again a little later. We keep walking around then venture back down into the 'main' part of town in search of a grocer to get some lunch things. We pass a woman on the beach making the most incredible sand sculptures of Shrek, Fiona, Donkey and the dragon. We toss some money into the blanket on the sand and take a few pictures. Her work really is quite amazing.



We make it back to mum in time for lunch and to stream the tour on our laptops. The broadcast here doesn't start until about 4pm, hours after the actual start so we watch on our computers for a while, then turn it on the tv but continue listening to the commentary in English on our computers. I have a little nap and wake up as Cadel is racing. Mum can't watch and is pacing in the other room. I also find it's a bit too much and distract myself on the computer. But it doesn't take long before we're celebrating his yellow jersey. And it's about time too. Mum rings Judy in Tassie to share the win.

After we come down off our le tour high, we start our big pack. Mum is giving me one of her little day packs and her other one is going to Kim so we all have a major repack and do some washing before dinner. We leave a little bit early to make the ceramic shop, where we all buy some more stuff. Mine will be going back to Tassie with Mum and Dad. I'll get to be all excited again in a couple of years when I reopen it.

Mum has been hankering for a paella since we got to Spain so tonight we must eat one, it's our last night. Luckily, she's feeling better so we find a place overlooking the water and order two. Each paella requires two people to eat it, although Toby looks like he could squash that rule pretty easily. The dish is everything we'd hoped for and as flup as we are, we still enjoy an ice cream afterwards.



We walk back along the beach and find the sand sculpture are still going. It's finished now, there's a Puss in Boots too. The beach was still packed when we walked to dinner, but the crowds are moving off the sand and onto the streets now. Along the beach further there is a bit of a public space where there are some buskers...a puppet show for kids and some young guys break dancing. Then it's back to the hotel for our last night in Spain, and my last night with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment