Tuesday, June 28

silly jetlag


What a way to finish my first day in Paris: by deleting half of the pictures I'd taken. But it's OK. Crisis averted.

After 24 hours in transit, including a 20 minute plank (ok nanna nap) on the floor of the Abu Dhabi airport, we arrived in Paris. Customs was non-existent so we were greeting mum and dad with an overtired 'bonjour' not too long after landing.

We're staying in a two-bedroom apartment in the 13th arrondissement. It's very quaint and the large windows (which are open all the time because of the heat), give us a good view of the activity on the street below. At the moment a street market is being set up, which I'll explore once I've finished this.


Because I'm coming back to Paris for a week in a month, I'm not too fussed about what we do while we're all here. Kim decided she wanted to see the Eiffel Tower so that's where we headed. The subway system is pretty easy to use and we've stocked up on tickets. It was only a short walk from one of the metro stations to the Tower. I know a few people might kick me for this statement, but I found it to be pretty underwhelming. I'd never been all that fussed about seeing it, and yep, I'm still not. We walked around under it for a while and took some photos, but we didn't spend much time here at all. I think I will come back with a tour guide at some stage because I would like to know more about it.



We decided to walk along the River Seine to Notre Dame, although we got distracted by a carousel across the road from the tower. We all had a ride and it was one of the highlights of my day. It was about 28C so I was cooking and feared for my little Taswegian skin as we walked along the river.

Looking at the buildings made me realise just how young Australia is as a country. We didn't have much of an idea what we were looking at, but I don't doubt that everything is really, really old. We stopped at a cafe for lunch where I had quiche lorraine.

We made it to Notre Dame and inside just as it started to rain a little. I tell you what, you would NOT want to break a window in that place. I lit a candle as an offering and we sat down for a while taking it all in. After Notre Dame we headed home. Our little footsies were pretty tired. There's a kitchen in our apartment and a supermarket down the road so we did a small grocery shop. Back at the apartment we began going through our photos and within 2 minutes I managed to deleted half of my photos. But never fear. Refusing to be beaten by a machine I googled my way out of it and found a program that recovers deleted files. Mission accomplished. Crisis averted.

At 6.30pm I went for a quick nap in mum and dad's bed (I'm sleeping in the living room) and managed to stay there until 10pm. After some watermelon for dinner I called it a night for good...well until 4am.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic first day in Paris, Megsy!! I'm a bit jealous ... but you would have known that already!!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete